Hi there! I've recently come home to Sweden from being out traveling a bit around the Adriatic Ocean, namely Montenegro, and thought that I would share one of my favorite recipes on something sweet and incredibly tasty.
Recipe for approx. 25 macarons:
4 egg whites 0,5 dl sugar 150 g grounded sweet almonds (or almond flour) 4 dl powder sugar
- Whisk the egg whites in a stainless steel bowl adding the sugar a little at a time. You want to have a consistency of the meringue that has peaks when you lift the whisk. (The secret to getting this really good, and actually the best thing to do, is if you do it by hand with a whisk. But you can also do it in a Kitchen Aid, first on low pace and then higher as it thickens)
- Gently fold the grounded almonds and the powder sugar into the meringue
- Pour the meringue in to a pipe bag and pipe out 50 small dots (approx. 1,5 cm wide) on a baking paper and leave to rest for about 10 minutes to prevent the meringue from crack in the oven
- Bake in the oven at 150 degrees celsius for approx. 11 minutes in the lowest part of the oven
- When they’re done, pull the baking paper off the tray and leave to cool down a bit
Recipe for the butter cream:
100 g tempered butter 1,5 dl powder sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar 1 egg yolk
- Whisk the butter, powder sugar and vanilla sugar until it gets white and puffy
- Throw in the egg yolk and whisk it out
- I usually do a raspberry butter cream, so I mix in some home cooked raspberry jam to flavor it!
- Put the cream in to a pipe bag
When you have all the “lids” and the butter cream ready, it’s time to assemble the little bad boys!
Pipe some butter cream on one of the “lids” and the press another one on top of it and voilà! Your home baked macarons are done :)